Leading a diverse team who is committed to serve the world’s most vulnerable with practical and compassionate care, the Country Director oversees all programme and support activities in-country. Plays a key role in donor relations and manages the country strategy and the project implementation in conjunction with senior field managers, and ensures constructive engagement in Medair’s regional approach for the Middle East.
In response to the on-going crisis in Iraq, Medair’s programme is delivering emergency assistance to Iraqi Internally displaced people (IDP), returnees and host communities in Dohuk, Ninewa and Kirkuk with an expectation to expand into additional governorates in 2016/7. The projects include Emergency Health Response, Shelter and Non-Food Item (NFI) Assistance with a strong emphasis on Cash base interventions.
Medair is a humanitarian organisation inspired and motivated by Christian faith to relieve human suffering in some of the world’s most remote and devastated places. We bring relief and recovery to people in crisis, regardless of race, creed or nationality. As signatories of the Red Cross Code of Conduct, we believe that aid should be given to everyone who is in need, regardless of political, social or religious viewpoint. We save lives in emergencies and then stay to help people recover from crisis with dignity—working side by side with communities to leave a lasting impact. We provide a range of emergency relief and recovery services: health care and nutrition; safe water, sanitation, and hygiene; shelter and infrastructure. Internationally recruited field and headquarters staff lead the organisation, supported by nationally recruited staff to implement programmes locally.
Based in Erbil, Kurdistan Region of Iraq, with regular travels to project locations (currently Kirkuk, Dohuk and Ninewa). Take a look at Medair’s work in Iraq.
1st November 2016
Initial Contract Details
Full time, 24 months
Key Activity Areas
Leadership & Management
- Design, update and evaluate the country strategy, in line with Medair’s Middle East Regional Strategy, and in conjunction with the relevant senior field managers, Regional Representative and HQ staff. Take into account community needs, donor criteria and strategies, the regional context.
- Manage the overall programme and support functions, including reviewing and refining the management structures and overseeing the development and maintenance of operational procedures for individual projects and support functions.
- Analyse humanitarian needs, trends and political developments in the country of operation in order to anticipate new projects and initiatives.
- Contribute constructively to Medair’s overall regional approach in the Middle East, sharing relevant information and seeking regional input for decision-making where appropriate.
- Oversee the updating and implementation of country location security plans, guidelines and manuals.
- Ensure appropriate security procedures and awareness are maintained throughout the country programme.
- Take the lead on decision making and contingency planning during security incidents or threats.
Donor Relations Management
- Develop and maintain contact with the in-country representatives of relevant funding partners (e.g. institutional donors or private donor organisations) in order to secure funding for the country programme, sharing information with other country programmes in the region as appropriate.
- Oversee the drafting and presentation of all proposals, operational and financial reports related to the country programme, in collaboration with the relevant senior field managers and regional and HQ staff.
- Develop and maintain relationships with authorities, donors, media, other NGOs and embassies with the objective of raising public awareness and identifying funding opportunities and other potential partnerships.
- Manage the spending within the programme in-line with the approved budgets. Analyse projected cash flow, decide on the timing of major procurements, oversee audits in the field and anticipate where over or under spending may occur and ensure necessary action is taken.
- Oversee all HR related issues within the programme including job descriptions, recruitment, performance management, development and training, health and safety, team structures (within the agreed regional framework), capability disciplinary action, etc. in collaboration with the relevant staff and managers.
- Ensure country programmes are implemented in line with donor proposals and requirements and in accordance with Medair, donor, country and international standards e.g. Sphere and HAP standards, WHO recommendations, etc.
Field - Team Spiritual Life
- Reflect the vision and values of Medair with team members, local staff, beneficiaries, and external contacts.
- Fully contribute to the rich spiritual life of your team, including team devotions, prayers, and words of encouragement.
- Live, work and pray together in our Christian faith-based team settings.
- Instigate and contribute to prayer times within internationally recruited staff and HQ teams.
- Encouraged to join and contribute to Medair’s international programmes and HQ prayer network.
- University degree in a relevant subject such as Management / Development Studies / Business Administration or in a relevant technical subject.
- Strong working knowledge of English (spoken and written).
Experience / Competencies
- 3 years post-qualification experience in a management position.
- 1 years post-qualification experience in a complex humanitarian emergency.
- Experience managing security in difficult context preferred.
- Experience in dealing with donors and government officials.
- Capacity to work under pressure and manage personal stress levels.
- Advanced planning, assessment and analytical skills.
- Advanced leadership and project management skills.
- Committed to team-building and able to develop and support other team members.
- Committed to consultative and servant leadership.
Profiles sought for Internationally Recruited Staff (IRS) roles in the field
- Professionals with 12 months or more relevant relief or development experience (Experienced Relief Workers).
- Professionals with less than 12 months relevant relief or development experience (New Relief Workers).
- Experienced professionals in a relevant Medair sector of expertise.
- Overseas intercultural experience.
- Fully committed to the Medair values; to reflect the vision and values of Medair with team members, local staff, and external contacts.
- Strong working knowledge of English, spoken and written.
- Working knowledge of French, spoken and written, for French-speaking field programmes.
- Able to live and work in a multicultural team under difficult conditions.
- Strong character traits, including emotional stability, adaptability, ability to handle stress, cultural and gender sensitivity, honesty, and physically fit.
- Single or married (with no children under 18). If married, your spouse must also apply.
- All potential candidates for field positions must successfully complete the Medair Relief & Recovery Orientation Course (ROC). Information, dates and related costs can be found via this link.
Benefits Package provided to all Internationally Recruited Staff (IRS)
- Comprehensive briefing at our Swiss Headquarters, as well as an in-country briefing.
- Security training for those going to insecure environments.
- Accommodation, food, and transportation in-country.
- Return flights to and from the country programme (one return flight for every year of service).
- Rest and recuperation (R&R) leave (including travel, accommodation, and food).
- Annual leave.
- Comprehensive medical and emergency rescue insurance, with up to 60 days post-assignment coverage, including debriefing.
- Disability insurance.
Specific benefits for Experienced Relief Workers (IRS)
(Applicants with 12 months or more relevant relief or development experience)
- A salary based upon the grade of the position and experience of the position-holder, starting from USD 1,700 per month.
- Contribution matching programme for retirement savings.
- Additional contract benefit allowance for those who commit to longer contracts.
- Highly subsidised contribution to Medair ROC travel and accommodation costs.
- This is a field-based position and working and living conditions may be very different to that previously experienced.
Please do not make multiple applications. We will not review email applications.
Only English-language applications and CVs will be reviewed.
Medair does not set closing / deadline dates for applications; recruitment is on-going until the position is filled.
Click to Apply http://bit.ly/2ftc0Hj