Provide operational support to HQ managers on the full range of HR policies and practice, including recruitment, change management, employee relations, performance management, training and development compensation, benefits and communications, retention. Understand payroll process for HQ employees and the Swiss legislation and Medair procedures and tools. Handle effectively and timely the administration of the employee life cycle at HQ. Improve the HQ HR systems, policies and procedures and contribute to their definition, elaboration and implementation.
Medair Headquarters (HQ) provides operational guidance for country programmes and activities, along with both technical and compassionate support for our relief workers. Within our headquarters, we are also responsible for promoting the work of Medair to the world, to raise and manage the funds needed to run our life-saving and sustaining programmes. Our headquarters teams are also responsible for recruiting international and HQ staff, and like our field teams, we are committed to serve the world’s most vulnerable with practical and compassionate care.
Medair is a humanitarian organisation inspired and motivated by Christian faith to relieve human suffering in some of the world’s most remote and devastated places. We bring relief and recovery to people in crisis, regardless of race, creed or nationality. As signatories of the Red Cross Code of Conduct, we believe that aid should be given to everyone who is in need, regardless of political, social or religious viewpoint. We save lives in emergencies and then stay to help people recover from crisis with dignity—working side by side with communities to leave a lasting impact. We provide a range of emergency relief and recovery services: health care and nutrition; safe water, sanitation, and hygiene; shelter and infrastructure. Internationally recruited field and headquarters staff lead the organisation, supported by nationally recruited staff to implement programmes locally.
Based in Medair Headquarters, Ecublens, near Lausanne, Switzerland.
As soon as possible
Initial Contract Details
80%-100%, open-ended contract
Key Activity Areas
- Handle the administration of the employee life cycle at HQ, delivering cost effective administrative expertise and follow up in the following areas: on / off boarding, social insurances, vacation and public holidays, timesheet management and filling of personnel folders, reporting, in compliance with related Swiss legislation and labour law requirements.
- Supervise payroll for HQ, in compliance with Swiss legal requirements and internal programs and procedures, doing this in collaboration with other HR colleagues.
- Coach managers in people management with regard to staff recruitment for Headquarters and Affiliate Offices, staff development, staff performance management, case management of their staff and application of HR best practices. To advise on HQ Handbook and other policies implementation.
- Provide them with operational and strategic HR support, especially in the areas of employee relations, compliance, diversity, equality and equity, performance management, succession planning, career development, internal and external communication, promotion policy, etc.
- Improve the HQ HR systems, policies, process redesign and procedures and contribute to their definition, elaboration and implementation especially in relation to the area of payroll, back office administrative management, staff resourcing, performance management, staff and managers development and retention.
- Maintain up to date all HR information systems (data base, reporting, metrics and statistics ….) and all personnel files (electronically or paper folders).
- Build good capacity for change and succession planning, to develop the teambuilding spirit and positive workgroup dynamics in the different departments, in collaboration with the managers.
- Participate in strategy creation for HQ and the field, to ensure HR practices are aligned with Medair’s strategy, to develop the organisation (skills, competencies, future resourcing) and to implement appropriate plans and projects in order to facilitate the culture changes within the organisation.
- Listen to employees, understanding their expectations and to provide answers to their questions as well as representing their needs, in collaboration with their managers. To act as mediator whenever feasible if conflict arise between colleagues or with their line managers.
- Contribute whenever possible to support Medair notoriety to the outside world create and to speak honourably of the organisation and of the staff.
International Headquarters - Team Spiritual Life
- Reflect the vision and values of Medair with team members, international team members, and external contacts.
- Fully contribute to the rich spiritual life of your team, including team devotions, prayers, and words of encouragement.
- Work and pray together in our Christian faith-based team settings.
- Instigate and contribute to prayer times within internationally recruited staff and HQ teams.
- Encouraged to join and contribute to Medair’s international programmes and HQ prayer network.
This job description covers the main tasks and conveys the spirit of the sort of tasks that are anticipated proactively from staff. Other tasks may be assigned as necessary according to organisational needs.
- Swiss HR Certificate or Brevet federal.
- Diploma in Human Resources.
- Strong working knowledge of English and French (spoken and written).
Experience / Competencies
- Minimum 3 years experience in an HR position in Switzerland.
- Very good knowledge of Swiss social benefits, payroll and Swiss labour law.
- Good administrative and organisational skills.
- Excellent oral, written and interpersonal communication skills.
- Strong analytical, planning and problem solving skills.
- Dynamic, proactive attitude and good sense of initiative.
- Team working skills, encourager.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
Profiles sought for International Headquarters staff
- Experienced Relief Workers and those without field experience.
- Experienced professionals in a relevant Medair sector of expertise.
- Overseas intercultural work experience desirable.
- Fully committed to the Medair values; to reflect the vision and values of Medair with team members, international team members, and external contacts.
- Strong working knowledge of English (spoken and written).
- Working knowledge of French (spoken and written) for French-speaking roles.
- Working knowledge of German (spoken and written) for German-speaking role.
- Able to work in a multicultural team.
- Strong character traits, including emotional stability, adaptability, ability to handle stress, cultural and gender sensitivity, and honesty.
- Swiss or eligible EU citizens, or those with a valid work permit for Switzerland.
- For more senior / technical roles, some other nationalities may be eligible to apply.
Benefits Package provided to International Headquarters Staff
- Salary commensurate with the pay-grade of the position.
- Annual leave; Accident insurance and pension.
- Death and disability insurance; Health insurance for loss of earnings.
- A motivating work environment.
- The opportunity to work in a Christian organisation where your contributions make a difference for the world’s most vulnerable.
- Swiss or eligible EU citizens, or those with a valid work permit for Switzerland, can apply.
- This is a HQ based position in Lausanne Switzerland.
Click to apply: http://relief.medair.org/en/jobs/positions/hr-business-partner/