NRC’s activities in Myanmar currently focus on the South eastern region along the border with Thailand, Kachin/N, Shan States and Rakhine State with plans in place to expand the overall intervention. NRC’s current activities include rapid issuance of civil documentation, reconstruction of durable shelter, permanent schools, and vocational education, all managed from six field offices.
The purpose of the Coordinator position is to implement delegated CC project portfolio and provide specific support to the shared NRC-DRC LIFT programme and establishment of YEP centers in North Western Myanmar- Rakhine state. Across Rakhine state, substantial barriers prevent youth from accessing post-primary education and training. Widespread restrictions on freedom of movement and access to basic services continue to put displaced and indigent youth at risk and make it difficult for them to build livelihoods skills to become self-reliant.
The project links to LIFT’s goal of “sustainably reducing the number of people living in poverty and hunger in Myanmar” by giving youth in Sittwe camps and Maungdaw Township in North Rakhine State (NRS) an opportunity to ‘step up’ out of low-skill or on-farm work by providing both the technical vocational skills and social support to generate income as a small business person or skilled worker.
Through the introduction of the mobile life skills program, mobile skill programs and establishment of YEP centers in Sittwe camps and North Rakhine State (NRS), the project will help youth develop skills for employment in non-farm activities, while also supporting them to build a social network of coach/ mentors and fellow students who will support their transition to adulthood and the workforce. These programs have been honed by NRC in previous work in the Southeast (SE), and will be bolstered by DRC’s deep relationships in Rakhine state. The position reports to the Education Programme Development Manager (PDM)
- Generic responsibilities:
- Line management of CC project field staff
- Adherence to NRC policies, guidance and procedures
- Contribute to CC strategy development, project proposals and provide input on needs and gaps
- Manage and implement delegated portfolio of CC (2) projects (activities, budget and project documentation) as delegated from PDM in line with proposals, strategies and donor requirements, and ensure high technical quality
- Provide regular progress reports to Education PDM and AM
- Ensure that projects target beneficiaries most in need of protection, explore and asses new and better ways to assist
- Promote and share ideas for improvement and necessary changes in the activities
- Ensure capacity building of project staff and transfer key skills
- Liaise and collaborate with relevant local authorities and other key stakeholders
- Promote the rights of IDPs/returnees in line with the advocacy strategy
- Specific responsibilities
- Work with the Education PDM to ensure the implementation of mobile Life Skills, mobile skills and YEP programmes.
- Supervise the implementation of peace coexistence related activities.
- Ensure proper protection, (including child protection where appropriate) and data management systems are in place for project implementation.
- Undertake market linked analysis to determine skills with active community participation.
- Experience from working a YEP/ Youth skills project implementation position in a humanitarian/recovery context
- Previous experience from working in complex and volatile contexts
- Documented results related to the position’s responsibilities
- Knowledge about own leadership skills/profile
- Fluency in English, both written and verbal
- Knowledge of the context in Myanmar/ Rakhine State is an asset
- Knowledge and skills related to training and development.
- Experience with start-up.
- Handling insecure environments
- Managing resources to optimize results
- Empowering and building trust
- Managing performance and development
- Planning and delivering results
- All NRC employees are expected to work in accordance with the organization’s core values: dedication, innovation, inclusivity and accountability. These attitudes and believes shall guide our actions and relationships.
- Contract period: 11 months
- Salary/benefits: According to NRC’s general directions
- Duty Station: Maungdaw, Rakhine State, Myanmar with 25% travel
- This is an unaccompanied post/non family duty station, with shared housing/accomodation of moderate standard.
- Approved health certificate will be requested before contract start
- Application procedures and CV registration: Please note that you are required to enter the geographical location for all your previous positions while registering your CV. There is no specific field for this information in our CV form, but you can use the "Company name" field for both company and location