|Job Title:||Head of Regional Operations|
Would you like to join BAE Systems Group Business Development Function? We have an opportunity to join our Business Winning Operations team, who are the primary UK based team supporting our business winning activities in our markets overseas.
An opportunity has been identified for the Head of Regional Operations, within the Business Winning Operations team.
Based in Farnborough, the Business Winning Operations team brings together central functional expertise, providing the vital interface between our activities in markets, the LOB’s and Sectors and our domestic customers and partners. The team provides relevant expertise in industrial co-operation and offset, market and competitor intelligence, functional business winning capability, capture support, business winning communications and marketing through our corporate event activities. The team also provides the governance and compliance oversight with our markets and offices overseas.
As Head of Regional Operations, you will be leading a core team to undertake UK based activity in support of Group Business Development (GBD)’s deployed Country and Regional BD teams, acting as the “shop window” of GBD in the UK. You will be working with the Business Units channelling advice on customer thinking, budgets and opportunities and also with external stakeholders such as UKTI DSO, Think Tanks and London based embassies of our customers.
Internally you will be the primary interface with our Sectors and LOB’s, ensuring close alignment on our shared business winning objectives and channelling regional input into our export campaigns. You will also be responsible for IBP alignment and order intake analysis.
Working with the BW Operations team, you will represent the Regional teams, providing support to capture teams and ICT’s and Campaign Steering Board Meetings.
You will also act as the key interface with other GBD/Head Office Teams
KEY PERFORMANCE INDICATORS:
· Development and maintenance of effective business networks and relationships with UK TI DSO personnel, Embassies and other relevant external bodies to support our customer facing regional operations
· Implementation of a strong service culture to effectively support the needs of the deployed MDs/RMDs and Country Directors.
· Trusted relationships and credibility with our internal Stakeholders, LOB’s and Sectors.
· Year-on-year improvement in the processes of aligning GBD and BU objectives and of interchanging views on IBP and other opportunities
· Support to business identification and capture across the BAE Systems Group.
· Effective governance arrangements implemented for BU-supported markets and implementation of the Pursuit of Export Opportunities Policy
· Management of Regional Operations Departmental Budget
· People development and organisation of the Regional Operations team, including:
o People, incl. talent management strategy and FRR data
o Learning and Development Planning
· Leadership of the Regional Operations Strategy and Team Plan
· Promotion of best practice with the wider BAE Systems Business Winning Community
· UKTI DSO – Regional Directors and team leaders
· Ambassadors, Military Attaches and other relevant staff in London embassies of GBD market countries
· The Country MDs and RMDs, Country Directors
· BD Directors and other senior BD Execs in the Business Units and Sectors
· Functional Leads
Leading the team, you will work with External Stakeholders
· Develop strong and effective working relationships with UKTI DSO, and other relevant government staff, particularly related to country/regional issues
· Liaison with London-based customer Embassies and High Commissions, including Defence Attaches and other staff
· Assist with inward and outward customer visits, including arranging meetings and associated logistics
· Attend UK-based external conferences and workshops, and liaise with think tanks on behalf of the Country/Region, to apprise the regional teams of the latest academic and diplomatic thinking
Work with Internal Stakeholders
· Work with the UK-based BUs:
o Undertake the alignment and monitoring of joint objectives
o Channel intel and advice on customer thinking, budgets, opportunities, competitor activity etc.
o Participate in integrated campaign team (ICT) and campaign steering board meetings, and input into BU Capture Plans
o Attend “colour reviews” as appropriate, providing regional/country input
· Liaise with the Communications and Events & Exhibitions teams:
o On trade shows (attending coordination meetings, assisting organisers in setting up delegation visits, advising on etiquette, culture etc.)
o In support of brand promotions and sponsorships
· Provide a service to the country/regional teams including:
o Provide a point-of-contact for GBD and other Head Office functions on a variety of management, governance and administrative topics (with Legal, Comms, Audit, CR, IT, Offset, Market & Competitor Analysis etc.)
o Coordinate and generate management reports on behalf of the regions (eg monthly reports, QBR and CBR packs)
o Maintain up-to-date regional databases (e.g. opportunity registers, order intake analysis), and work with the Sectors, BUs and Group Finance to maintain alignment
· Generate data for, and support formulation of Country Strategies. Working with inputs from GBD, Group and Inc. Strategy and the Sectors and BUs, review the international market segmentation/prioritisation as appropriate, and make recommendations for changes.
· Own the Pursuit of Export Opportunities Policy on behalf of GBD and co-ordinate its implementation across the lines of business
· Provide governance under the Pursuit of Export Opportunities Policy and other relevant policies for all BU-supported markets
Your skills and qualifications:
Excellent leadership and people management experience
Proven ability to operate in a dynamic environment
Sound understanding of the principles of business development in new and existing markets, particularly in the defence and security market
A strong understanding of international business winning, ideally gained over multiple geographies and domains. An understanding of trends and changes in the world defence and security market, and industry trends
A sound knowledge of the defence and security environment in order to enable interaction with senior defence and security professionals
Strong track record of managing and growing customer relationships, internally and externally
Significant experience in the development of plans and strategies to support business winning activities
Proven ability to work collaboratively across internal boundaries
Proven ability to develop and maintain strong relationships with key stakeholders within BAE Systems
Proven experience of Integrated Campaign teams, capture pursuit and Colour Reviews
Broad knowledge of BAE Systems’ products, services and capabilities, including how the company operates e.g. policy, practice, structure, especially in the UK
Significant experience in the application of relevant governance frameworks to business winning activities
Ability to manage and motivate a team to successfully deliver objectives
What we're looking for in you:
You will be a proven leader with the ability to motivate, influence and negotiate with others effectively. You will have a strong Business Development background with the personal credibility that comes from established and trusted relationships across the business. You will lead, develop and energise a strong team to provide excellence in GBD support to the business and overseas.