Closing Date: 20th January 2017
Salary: Competitive Salary Range
Contract Type: Fixed Term 6 months (with possible 6 month extension)
Hours: Full Time
Location: Abuja, Nigeria
This is an unaccompanied post.
Fluent English and French is essential
All CV's to be submitted in English.
Oxfam works with others to overcome poverty and suffering. As an Oxfam employee, you will join a team of professionals that is part of the international confederation of 17 organizations networked together in 94 countries. As part of a global movement for change, we are working together to end world poverty and injustice.
The Advocacy and Campaigns manager provides high quality technical leadership and coordination of Oxfam’s policy advocacy, campaigns, media and communication strategies in the Lake Chad Basin. The role also provides support to partners when needed and represents Oxfam in various advocacy and campaign platforms and coordination mechanisms in country.
- Manages of a budget and significant processes and relationships, particularly with partners and external contacts.
- Line manages a team.
- Project Management within own specialism.
- Expert knowledge of relevant communications environment and programme context.
- Provides creative and innovative solutions to a wide range of problems and projects.
- Forward planning and management of projects and development of strategy within specialism.
- Contributes to strategic development at a wider level within the programme.
- Provides technical advice and specialist guidance on appropriate communications solutions across the programme.
- Represents the programme to influence external contacts, acting as key spokes person
- Achieves goals by influencing internal and external policies through using well-development influencing, negotiating and sales skills.
- Responsible for shaping work which has potential major impact on public image.
- Requires ability to analyse and communicate complex information to a wide range of audiences.
Strategy Development and Implementation
- Lead the implementation and review of a strategic campaign plan for advocacy, communications and media on humanitarian and conflict related issues in the Lake Chad Basin.
- Lead coordination within and between media, policy, campaigns and communications stands on the LCB response. This includes coordinating with policy, media, comms. and advocacy staff as well as programme colleagues.
- Liaise with the global Oxfam network to ensure that the Lake Chad Basin policy, media and communication strategies have international support.
- Maintain good relationships with internal stakeholders, donors, national authorities, other agencies and media outlets.
Media and Communications
- Manage media and communication staff to develop specific strategies which support campaign objectives and promote Oxfam’s reputation, acceptance and visibility.
- Represent Oxfam and communicate it’s views to a wide range of media and external stakeholders.
Policy Advocacy and External Relations
- Provide high quality technical support on policy and advocacy to Programme Managers and the Policy Lead.
- Coordinate the different advocacy elements of the response so as to ensure consistent messaging and maximising opportunities of change.
- Provide effective management and support to the team to ensure high levels of motivation and performance.
- Ensure excellent staff development in accordance with Oxfam’s policies, paying particular attention to building national staff capacity.
- Ensure that all duties are carried out in a way that promotes Oxfam’s values, culture and beliefs
- Proactively ensure that campaign activities take the specific needs of women and the most vulnerable into explicit account and are in line with gender and protection organisational policy.
Skills & Competencies:
- Professional qualification in political science, international affairs, public policy, security, governance or equivalent. An advanced qualification would be advantageous.
- Significant experience in advocacy, research, policy, media work and public campaigning.
- Understanding of humanitarian response, complex emergencies, conflict resolution and international humanitarian law.
- Excellent communicator with strong written and reporting skills, and an excellent ability to influence verbally to persuade with diplomacy and tact.
- Ability to work cooperatively in a cross cultural setting with a number of long distance working relationships.
- Experience in fast-paced and difficult emergency contexts.
- Adaptable in approach to work with a willingness to work under pressure in a demanding environment.
- Initiative and motivation to work independently and develop solutions to problems.
- Highly flexible in style with the ability to produce creative and pragmatic solutions to complex problems.
- Proven ability to work with budgets, including monitoring and evaluation and reporting.
- Fluency in written and spoken English and French.