Closing Date: 8th January 2017
Salary: Competitive Package
Contract Type: Fixed Term Contract (6 months with possibility of extension)
Hours: Full time
Location: Nigeria with travel to Niger and Chad
Oxfam works with others to overcome poverty and suffering. As an Oxfam employee, you will join a team of professionals that is part of the international confederation of 17 organizations networked together in 94 countries. As part of a global movement for change, we are working together to end world poverty and injustice.
The Lake Chad Basin response Media Lead will work with media colleagues in country and across the confederation to profile Oxfam’s work in support of fundraising and campaigning goals. They will collaborate with national and affiliate press officers in the region to deliver high-quality media projects and compelling story-gathering materials for national, regional and global media markets, and wider social media and communications needs.
The Media Lead will also serve as a conduit between national and global media colleagues to ensure that messages and quality are consistent, and to identify opportunities for collaboration. At the same time, the Media Lead will provide strategic communications and social media advice to senior-level staff at regional and country level on a day-to-day basis in the development of plans, matters of brand risk and to maximise communications impact.
- Work with country teams to deliver high impact stories for use in national, regional and global markets for traditional and social media.
- Design and implement a Lake Chad Basin response media strategy that secures high-impact media to help raise Oxfam’s profile, bring change on core Oxfam issues and raise funds.
- Support the communications lead in implementing a high-quality story-gathering strategy to showcase Oxfam’s work by generating compelling stories for use in media, social media, and wider communications in support of fundraising and influencing objectives.
- Respond to the news agenda to identify opportunities to profile Oxfam objectives and identify risk.
- Network with key regional journalists and outlets.
- Provide expertise to mitigate national and regional risk.
- Host international media and celebrity trips.
- Provide strategic advice to regional and global campaign and fundraising teams to ensure projects are media-friendly
- Provide or support media training of national and regional teams and develop spokespeople to speak on humanitarian, development and campaigning issues
- Monitor and evaluate the impact of media projects, and provide regular reporting.
SKILLS AND COMPETENCE:
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills in English (Essential)
- And French (Desirable)
- At least five years’ experience as a journalist or as a press officer with a track record of delivery (E)
- Sound editorial judgement and ability to generate stories that will significantly increase the profile of this humanitarian crisis in global media (E)
- Ability to lead complex projects with national, regional and international scope (E)
- Ability to organise international media, celebrity and other high-profile trips (E)
- Media training skills (E)
- Innovative and creative approach to problem solving (E)
- Strong understanding of how the news media can be used to fundraise and influence change (E)
- Ability to work cooperatively in a cross cultural setting with a number of long distance working relationships (E)
- Experience in fast-paced and high pressure contexts (E)