The European Molecular Biology Laboratory (EMBL) is one of the highest ranked scientific research organizations in the world. The Headquarters Laboratory is located in Heidelberg (Germany) and additional sites in Barcelona (Spain), Grenoble (France), Hamburg (Germany), Hinxton (UK) and Rome (Italy).
EMBL is looking for a Head of the Gene Editing and Embryology Facility at the Epigenetics and Neurobiology Unit near Rome, Italy.
The postholder will report to the Head of EMBL Rome and he/she will be in charge of:
- The operation of the Gene Editing and Embryology Facility dedicated to the generation of genetically modified mice and stem cells as well as ancillary services for internal and external users. Techniques used include CRISPR/Cas9 gene editing and other targeting technologies, direct microinjection into embryos, and generation of chimera from targeted ES cells by injection into the morula and blastocyst stages.
- Organisation and supervision of breeding colonies of wild-type and mutant mice necessary for the work of the transgenic service under standard operating procedures.
- Supervision and implementation of protocols for the importation/quarantine of animals and establishment where necessary of a Specific Pathogen Free (SPF) barrier area involving embryo re-derivation.
- Management of a team of transgenic facility personnel in the area of animal husbandry, microinjection, surgery, ES cell culture, and a wide range of related embryology and molecular biology techniques.
- Maintenance and updating of the online transgenic database for tracking work at the facility and the support of internal and external users.
- Conservation of mouse stocks by embryo and sperm cryopreservation.
- Application of IVF procedures for the rederivation of mouse lines from cryopreserved sperm
- Use of intracytoplasmic sperm injection (ICSI) for the establishment of large construct transgenic mouse lines and the recovery of senescent and/or infertile mouse lines.
- Establishment and coordination of training activities both internal and external to EMBL in the area of transgenesis.
Qualifications and Experience
Applicants should hold a Bachelor degree in Biology, Animal Science, or a PhD in a related field. Solid experience of transgenic technologies (DNA and ES cell injection, cryopreservation, embryo transfer) and hands on experience of gene editing approaches is an absolute prerequisite. Experience in ICSI would be an advantage. The successful candidate will have excellent interpersonal skills, demonstrated collaborative ability, and experience of supervision and management. Previous work in an international environment is preferred. Fluent spoken and written English is required. Italian is not required, but would be an asset.
Please apply online through www.embl.org/jobs
An initial contract of 3 to 5 years' duration will be offered to the successful candidate. This can be renewed, depending on circumstances at the time of the review.
EMBL is an inclusive, equal opportunity employer offering attractive conditions and benefits appropriate to an international research organisation with a very collegial and family friendly working environment. The remuneration package comprise a competitive salary, a comprehensive pension scheme, medical, educational and other social benefits, as well as financial support for relocation and installation, including your family.