Based in Dhaka, Bangladesh, icddr,b is committed to solving public health problems facing low- and middle-income countries through innovative scientific research, conducting training, and offering clinical services. By developing, testing and assessing the implementation of interventions specifically designed for resource-poor settings, we aim to improve the health and wellbeing of people living in the world’s poorest nations. For more than 50 years, we have been carrying out high-quality research and promoting the uptake of evidence-based interventions.
The incumbent participates as an observer in the meetings of the Board of Trustees (BoT), and as a full member in the absence of the Executive Director when so delegated. The incumbent will be responsible for providing leadership and guidance, during the absence of the Executive Director or if delegated to do so otherwise.
Working closely with and reporting to the Executive Director, the incumbent will serve as the Chief Operating Officer of the Institute. S/HE will focus on developing work planning and project management systems in order to ensure work streams are synchronized, moving in a common direction, and can accommodate the various division’s needs. This will also include leading performance management processes to measure and evaluate progress against icddr,b’s strategic goals. The incumbent will oversee and coordinate management of all Institute activities, including the following operational organizational functions: Research Administration, Government and Employee Relations, Communications, Human Resources, Development, Finance, Regulatory and Legal Services, Information Technology, and Supply Chain and Facilities Management. S/HE will build and lead a team focused on high performance, accountability and delivering customer-focused solutions and ‘best in class’ operational effectiveness that enables delivery of innovative science. This position will partner with the senior scientific leadership to translate the strategic priorities and programs into effective and efficient operational deliverables. The incumbent will provide a strategic voice in evaluation and management of risks in all parts of the organization. S/HE will also be responsible for providing management and analysis to enable strategic decision-making and action across icddr,b.
• Represent the organization with external stakeholders (Government of Bangladesh, donors, institutional collaborators, etc.) as required, serving as a spokesperson in conjunction with the Executive Director (ED) and senior management, as appropriate
• Serve as the architect and overall implementor of change management
• Ensure functioning of an equitable, effective, accountable, and leading edge Human Relations function.
• Ensure appropriate financial budgeting and financing systems, including operation of total cost recovery system and implementation of a balanced budget
• Define and manage a system of appropriate risk management and compliance for icddr,b in Dhaka and all field locations
• Adapt to changing needs, re-prioritize projects or re-allocate resources as needed
• Develop and implement appropriate policies, systems and procedures for establishment, implementation and oversight of grants and contracts
• Strengthen capacity for expanded grant and sub-award management system
• Build and lead cross-functional teams to ensure appropriate operational oversight of icddr,b’s office locations, provision of required registrations, identification of appropriate facilities, health and safety management, management of leases, and insurance
• Identify appropriate governance structures for sustaining icddr,b’s presence in the scientific community including leading the development of inter-organizational agreements, identification of capacity building needs, strengthening Dhaka and field operations functions for greater self-reliance
• Ensure the provision of appropriate business continuity and emergency planning for all locations including on-going and ‘ad hoc’ safety and security measures as required
• Improve efficiency and effectiveness of the organization through the identification, implementation and on-going management of ‘leading-edge’, cost-effective information technology and systems-based operational solutions for the organization. Ensure on-going review of strategies for delivery of technology and systems to meet changing needs of the organization
• Lead development and introduction of efficient and effective document and data management policies and processes to facilitate effective oversight and management
• Ensure provision of appropriate policies, systems and procedures for procurement and asset management across the organization
• Provide regular reports regarding operational effectiveness to the Board of Trustees, and other Board committees
• Lead and direct teams to ensure appropriate analysis and response to audit findings and timely implementation of improvement of systems, processes and procedures as necessary
• Lead the implementation and monitoring of icddr,b’s strategic plan
• Ensure talent management and development efforts are strategic and relates to organizational and employees’ capacity building.
EXPERIENCE AND EDUCATION
• A minimum 15 years with a progressive track record as a senior executive in an international organization or a large public or private organization performing a broad range of operations including strategy development and implementation, complex administrative functions, and financial and human resource operations.
• A master’s degree in business/finance/public administration/public health
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
• Experiences in financial management, budgeting and accounting
• Experiences in human resource management, administration and logistic management
• Experiences as board member/ delegate or as an observer to a board of any international or national organization active in health or research
• Experience with bilateral and multilateral donors, other donor-funded programs, and experience in management and analysis of multiple revenue streams
• Inspiring leadership skills including demonstrated experience in building and leading high-performing teams to achieve measurable results
• Demonstrated ability to effectively interact and build trust with senior management, staff, board of trustees, government, donors and other relevant stakeholders
• Experience in working in low- or middle-income countries and demonstrated cross-cultural sensitivity
• Demonstrated experience of improving business effectiveness and efficiency and identifying and implementing “best practice” technologies
• Working knowledge of IT/Business infrastructure
• Fluency in English – and excellent written and verbal communication skills with proved influencing and negotiating skills
• An excellent team player with strong interpersonal skills.
• Fluency in Bengali
• Ability to thrive in an environment that is in constant movement and change
• Thoughtful and analytical with the ability to be clear-minded in the face of ambiguity
• Supportive of icddr,b’s programming that promotes gender equality, and diversity.
Applicants who fulfil the requirements should submit a confidential letter of application summarising the relevance of their experience with detailed curriculum vitae, including salary requirements and three referees with contact information to directorHR@icddrb.org. Applications will be considered until the position is filled. icddr,b regrets that due to number of applications received, it will not be possible to reply to all individual applicants. Only short-listed candidates will be informed.
icddr,b is an equal opportunity employer and particularly welcomes applications from women candidates.
For detailed information about the organisation, visit our website: www.icddrb.org.