The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is a non-governmental, humanitarian organization with 60 years of experience in helping to create a safer and more dignified life for refugees and internally displaced people. NRC advocates for the rights of displaced populations and offers assistance within the shelter, education, emergency food security, legal assistance, and water,sanitation and hygiene sectors.
The Norwegian Refugee Council has approximately 5000 committed and competent employees involved in projects across four continents. In addition, NRC runs one of the world’s largest standby rosters -NORCAP, with 650 professionals, ready to be deployed on 72 hours notice when a crisis occurs
The NRC Somalia/Somaliland Country Programme is part of the NRC Horn of Africa, Yemen, Uganda and South Sudan regional mission. Operations in the region began in Somali land in 2004, expanded to Puntland in 2006, South Central Somalia and Kenya in 2007. Prioritized activities focus on shelter construction; water, hygiene and sanitation;education; food security; protection and information, counselling and legal Assistance (ICLA).
The purpose of the HR & ADMIN Officer position is to provide efficient and effective Human Resources management and office administration to NRC Somaliland Area Programme.
Candidates can apply online by going through the " VACANCIES" link at www.nrc.no
Qualified female candidates are particularly encouraged to apply.
Email and paper applications will not be considered.
NRC may be required to verify the identity of its partners/employees and to check that its partners/employees have not been involved in illegal activities. NRC reserves the right to use electronic screening tools for this purpose.
- Generic responsibilities:
- Ensure adherence with NRC policies, tools, handbooks and guidelines
- Implement delegated support function portfolio according to plan of action
- Prepare and develop status reports as required by management
- Ensure proper filing of documents
- Promote and share ideas for improvement of the support function
- Specific responsibilities:
- Ensure provision, awareness and practical advice to all staff on the NRC HR policies and procedures, and their adherence to them
- Organize and participate in staff recruitment throughout the process of vacancy identification, advertisement, candidate selection, contracting, orientation and confirmation in liaison with line managers
- Be responsible for the orientation of new staff, and the sourcing of all staff training programs
- Coordinate clearance of staff separating from the organization including exit interviews and final dues payments
- Ensure maintenance of an effective, efficient and up to date staff records and filing system including contracts, leave, medical, awards, discipline, archiving, etc, etc..
- Ensure timely processing of the monthly payroll
- In consultation with the Area Manager, provide technical input and be the focal point in addressing employee relations issues including staff grievances, disciplinary measures, etc
- Plan and advise on the staff performance management calendar and content
- Review and approve Incentive Workers contract contents.
- Prepare periodic HR reports and planning projections for submission for country reporting
- Generic professional competencies:
- University degree in relevant discipline i.e. Business Administration, Management , Human Resources.
- Experience from working in a humanitarian/recovery context
- Minimum three years' relevant work experience
- Documented results related to the position’s responsibilities
- Fluency in the English language both written and oral is required
- Context Specific Competencies
- Good knowledge of the NGO operations and the dynamics of the humanitarian sector
- Knowledge on national labour laws and interpretation of such laws.
- A strong administrative service orientation
- Keen sense of compliance with policy and procedure
- Good employer-employee contract negotiation skills
- Personal conflict resolution and problem solving skills
- Basic employee counselling skills
- Highly confidential
- Good computer application skills
- Fluency in Somali language both written and oral is required
- Behavioral competencies, these are personal qualities that influence how successful people are in their job. The following are essential for this position:
- Handling insecure environments
- Working with people
- Communicating with impact and respect
- Planning and delivering results
- Empowering and building trust
- Commencement: As soon as possible
- Contract Duration: Until end of December 2016 with the possibility of extension
- Duty Station: Hargeisa with frequent travel to all areas of programme operations
- Salary/Benefits: According to NRC's general directions.
- All employees of the Norwegian Refugee Council should be able to adhere to our Code of Conduct and the four organizational values: Dedicated, innovative, inclusive and accountable
Apply now: http://bit.ly/2dlrv6m