Job Number: 499139 | Vacancy Link
Location: Regional Services Division, Bangkok
Work Type : Fixed Term Staff
If you are a committed, creative professional and are passionate about making a lasting difference for children, the world's leading children's rights organization would like to hear from you.
For 70 years, UNICEF has been working on the ground in 190 countries and territories to promote children's survival, protection and development. The world's largest provider of vaccines for developing countries, UNICEF supports child health and nutrition, good water and sanitation, quality basic education for all boys and girls, and the protection of children from violence, exploitation, and AIDS. UNICEF is funded entirely by the voluntary contributions of individuals, businesses, foundations and governments.
Purpose of the Position
Under the guidance of the Regional Adviser, responsible for the planning, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of an assigned programme or specific projects within the regional social policy programme with a particular focus on public finance for children and equity.
Summary of key functions/accountabilities:
1. Acts as UNICEF EAPRO regional focal point for public finance management, social/child budgeting and fiscal decentralization.
- Identifies economic and social policy priorities at the regional level and proposes initiatives that have the potential to promote equity for children through improved policies and public financial management (stronger planning, resourcing, implementation, monitoring, reporting and evaluation) as well as fiscal decentralization in East Asia and Pacific countries.
- Supports and actively promotes collaborative work with other Regional Office programme sections. Facilitates knowledge-sharing among UNICEF offices, within the region as well as across regions and with Headquarters, on social policy and economic analysis with a particular focus on PFM.
- Initiates, leads and contributes to multi-country research projects and studies in related knowledge areas. Takes responsibility for the preparation of regional synthesis of the results; facilitate advocacy and further use as well as ensure the replicability of methods.
- Develops or adapts training materials; organizes and supports delivering regional or multi-country training and capacity building efforts in PFM-related technical issues and sectoral programme areas as necessary.
- Identifies interesting and useful areas for future research and training activities in UNICEF, paying special attention to priority areas such as improving basic social services and reducing social disparities and inequalities through social budgeting interventions.
- Uses knowledge and networking capacities to engage in or establish constructive dialogue and partnerships with international agencies (World Bank, ADB, IMF) as well as regional bodies (ASEAN, PEMNA, APEC); assists regional or global events and networks in different sector areas to examine and address financing gaps and PFM-related bottleneck for equity and child results.
- Represents UNICEF in thematic working groups and contributes to communities in practice that help the SDGs and regional social and economic development agendas benefit from cutting edge global practice, child sensitive and equity-centred approaches.
2. Provides technical assistance to UNICEF Country Offices in the areas of public policy, financial management, social budgeting and fiscal decentralization.
- Assists the Regional Adviser, Social Policy and Economic Analysis to advise on macroeconomic, PFM and social sector reforms and related UNICEF advocacy and programming strategies in EAP countries.
- Supports Country Offices' Situation Analyses, poverty and social sector analyses and policy advocacy with a particular focus on social expenditures and improved public financial management. Supports and promotes UNICEF Country Offices' work on budget briefs, benefit incidence studies, public expenditure reviews and the monitoring of child rights-related expenditures.
- Identifies relevant global practice within and beyond UNICEF and facilitates the adaption and adoption of processes, tools, knowledge products and/or platform to help enhancing the depth and quality of UNICEF's evidence work in technical area.
- Liaises with institutions with whom EAPRO or another UNICEF Office established Long Term Agreement for consultancy related to research, training and/or programming on social policy including public finance for children. Explores opportunities to enlarge, enhance and/or sustain the pool of technical partners; assists UNICEF Country Offices to with individual experts or institutions on the above technical areas.
- Guide and support documenting EAP countries' public policies, the decision-making, planning, resourcing, implementation, and reporting/evaluation processes, highlighting opportunities for interventions of stakeholders in child rights and equity.
- Contributes to improved transparency and timely availability of social sector expenditure data in the region. Supports technical processes and political arrangements around access to granular fiscal information, such as social sector expenditure disaggregated by result areas and/or programmes as well as by geographical, gender or other dimensions which are relevant for equity
- Maintains regular communication with Country Offices and undertakes missions upon request in order to provide technical assistance, training and other forms of capacity building.
3. As member of the Social Policy and Economic Analysis team at EAPRO
- Supports Regional Office oversight functions including participation in the Regional Office Annual Reports review, in Country Programme Document and County Programme Action Plan Reviews and in TRT/PBR process.
- Supports the development of the regional work plan and ensures compliance with specific assigned objectives
- Assists with resource mobilization for social policy in EAPR UNICEF Offices.
Impact of Results:
The incumbent will be involved in the decision making process on regional programme priorities and implementation, on extent and nature of involvement with partners at the regional level, and on appropriateness of technical advice to Country Offices. The more informed/ mature the decisions, the more effective will be UNICEF mediation in the development process within, across and possibly beyond the countries of the region. In addition, the incumbent will need to make recommendations on development and formulation of social policy initiatives and/or their components and appropriate adjustments and changes in implementation to improve efficiency and effectiveness. Recommendations on consultants for research and studies as well as resource persons for capacity building to ensure high-quality outputs is also under the incumbent's responsibility.
Qualifications of a Successful Candidate:
- An advanced university degree (Master's) in Economics, Public Financial Management, Social Sciences, Public Policy and/or Administration, International Relations or other relevant discipline.
- A minimum of 8 years progressively responsible professional work experience in social development, project administration, monitoring and evaluation, some at the international level and in low or middle-income countries strongly preferred.
- Experience in a country office of UNICEF and/or another development organization working with ministries of economy, planning and finance is highly preferred.
- Fluency in English (both written and verbal) is required. Knowledge of an additional UN language (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian, Spanish) is an asset.
- Strong writing skills are required for high level advocacy and publication of documents.
Competencies and level of proficiency required:
- Diversity and inclusion
- Communication – Level III
- Working with people – Level II
- Drive for Results – Level II
- Leading and Supervising – Level II
- Formulating Strategies and Concepts – Level II
- Analyzing – Level III
- Relating and Networking – Level III
- Persuading and Influencing – Level II
- Planning and Organizing – Level III
To view our competency framework, please click here.
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages qualified female and male candidates from all national, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of our organisation.
Opening Date 26 Sep 2016 S.E. Asia Standard Time
Closing Date 10 Oct 2016 S.E. Asia Standard Time
Apply Now: http://uni.cf/2cIcjie